Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Still Waiting...

Update from our Doctor's Appointment on Friday
(38 weeks + 5 days)

Little Girl Zanger is healthy & seems to have evened out in all of her measurements. Meaning her head circumference, abdomen circumference, and femur length all seem to be measuring only 1 week ahead of schedule now (39 weeks +5 days). Of course, I don't think parts of her magically shrunk or grew extremely fast. This just goes to show that Ultrasound measurements in the end are only estimates. And the estimate for her weight is 8 pounds 3 oz now.

The good news: I am now 50% effaced & the doctor said this time that we could have "delivery anytime" now. Yay!

Oh... and apparently she has lots of HAIR!

However,

The kind of scary news: Baby Z is still floating... aka - hasn't "dropped" into the pelvis yet. I know that in 1st babies, this usually happens 2-4 weeks before birth so I asked the doctor about it. He said she could still drop or it is possible that her head is too big. Personally, 8 pounds, 3 ounces does not sound too big to me yet, considering that I was bigger than that when I was born. (And it's just an estimate anyway). But, I guess to be honest, he told me that at this point there is a 2/3 chance of normal delivery still and a 1/3 chance of c-section. (Which I DON'T want.) He also said at our next week's appointment, if the baby hasn't come yet, that he wanted to start talking about induction as well. (Which I also DON'T want.)

He said a bit more, but this was the main jist of the appointment. So, could you please join us in prayer over this situation. My husband reminded me on the drive home from the hospital that God is bigger than statistics and He is ultimately in control of when and how every baby arrives into this world. So, please pray for peace in this situation for me (that I wouldn't stew over it or constantly be anxious). And pray that our baby would "drop" in God's timing and I'd have enough strength to push her out. (if this is God's will)

Thank you all for your love and support. Again, we'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. I hear your concerns, Laurie. Although I think any delivery has a 25-35% chance of ending in a c-section these days. It does here, anyway. I don't know if induction ups your chances of a c-section for sure, but it seems to me like maybe it might. In any case, having BTDT with being induced, I understand why you don't want to go that route. If it were me, unless there was a real medical reason the baby needed to come out asap, I wouldn't want to be induced until I was at least a little bit past my due date. But I also wouldn't want to risk waiting longer than about 41 weeks either. It's a tough spot to be in, I pray you don't have to face such decisions but that baby Z will just come on out any day now (Luke's birthday is this week!)

    BTW, the effacement is great, any progress like that you have will help if an induction is needed. And also, in my opinion, your best guess on when/how labor might go for you is to look at how things went for your own mother. There are often similarities.

    Take care! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete