Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Signs of the Times

We took a few pictures of our various activities this weekend and as I was just looking at them I feel that they are very telling and similar to the pictures I seem to take every year at this time. Where did the year go? Is it really already MAY 16th?!? As I was sitting at school yesterday working on my lesson plans I had a bittersweet moment in realizing that I only have 3 weeks left with my 5th graders and then we are done! Sometimes you feel like you'll be with them forever and therefore put off doing the activities you'd really like to do with them. But now at the end I realize... that's it! No more time. The lessons and activities I now have planned for the next 3 weeks are all I get to do with them. I'd better make the most of my time and enjoy it while the days last because soon it will be over... again. My how the years fly.

And what a ride this year has been! Thinking back to what my school expectations were 12 months ago, this year turned out completely different than how I had envisioned it. I was beginning to pack up my classroom and make notes for the new 5th grade teacher to come. I was being trained by the current Librarian for all that comes in taking over the Library position. And of course I was planning a mission trip and a wedding. (Which, happily, both turned out exactly as I had expected.) But on June 23rd, our school was informed that we did not have the proper government certification to be an International School here in Korea and from that day on, our lives were turned upside down. And you know the rest of the story. I did not end up moving to the Library because all of our 7 new teachers were denied visas. So instead, all of us ended up taking on more responsibilities to cover for the missing teachers. Our director and office crew worked with the Korean government for 11 months on one CRAZY rollercoaster ride trying to procure the needed document. But... Praise GOD! Last week we FINALLY were handed the certificate and have it in our posession now. In fact, the same day we sent in our passports and alien resident cards to get our visas renewed for next year. This is such a testimony to God's faithfulness and his perfect timing. And, if there is one overarching lesson that we have learned this year, it is this:
Proverbs 19:21

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand."

Praise God!

So, anyway, below are the pictures I promised showing the signs of the times... that our school year is coming to a close. Blessings!
Sport's Banquet
Eric giving out awards to his top 4 soccer players.
Me with my soccer girls. (Do you think they all planned to wear black and white?)Coaches picture. (Minus Jessica, who was in the back nursing her newborn baby!)
And then... Saturday. Eric has a sad face because we went in to school and spent 8 hours catching up on grading and lesson plans! It was brutal, but at least we are now caught up for the most part.
Suffice it to say... grading is not our favorite thing to do on a beautiful Saturday afternoon.
BUT... we were rewarded with this spectacular view outside our classroom windows. Agriculturally in Korea, May is my favorite time of the year. There is about a 2-3 week window where the fields are flooded and smoothed out but no rice has been planted. I just love looking out and seeing all the fields that look like smooth lake water. And sunsets are particularly pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment