Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Disarming Response: "It's My Pleasure"

I wanted to share a story. There's a picture in black and white of a young girl holding a baby with me in it as well. The story is about the girl. The baby is not hers, by the way, in case you were wondering. The baby is her older sister's.

Anyway, on our first day at the evacuation centre during the afternoon, I was planning on doing a Bible Study for the parents. While the children knew exactly what to do because other groups had come to the centre to teach them, the parents hadn't had someone to teach them. So, the first day, I went around the center with my Bible raised high above my head and screaming, "Adult Bible Study! Adult Bible Study!"

I happened upon this girl, and she asked, "Can I help you?" Sweating, smiling, I said, "Yes!" and we went door to door, with me speaking in English and she translating to Tegalo, the native tongue of the Philippines.

Because of her partnership in the gospel, the Bible study started at 30 and grew over two days to about 50.

At the end of the time there, I specifically went to her and told her how thankful I was for her help and how God had used her to help the mothers and fathers hear the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Then came three words: "It's my pleasure."

It was disarming. Not a burden, but a pleasure.

The Man of Sorrows took the cross. Not a burden, but a pleasure:

1Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

Hebrews 12:1-2 (ESV, Emphasis Added)

May we be like Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment